Freelance Marketing: Action Plan for Editors
3-part webinar + 40pp workbook and homework
Three Tuesdays: August 22, August 29, September 5, 2017, 1:30 – 2:45 pm EST
Make a plan for yourself.
Spend 3 sessions with me, talking about the ways that freelancers have tried to market themselves. Leave with the outline of a plan for your own marketing efforts.
Keep the 40+ page workbook and webinar recordings.
- See what others are doing.
- Gauge whether you have to use social media.
- Decide how to find clients in person.
- Consider methods appropriate to your clients.
You need to “recognize when graphic elements must be edited to clearly and effectively convey the intended meaning,” as the professional editorial standard puts it. But how? And in whose opinion?
Designed for editors, this course is about directing and refining the content of visuals, not about using software to manipulate them. Visuals include graphics, charts, illustrations, diagrams, and photos. Sometimes, even words alone become a visual when they are subjected to artistic treatment and set apart from the narrative.
Over three lessons on your own time, try your hand at applying principles. We’ll address the needs at three different phases of manuscript / product development.
Developed in cooperation with Cheryl Stephens, instructor at the Writing and Publishing Program at Simon Fraser University Continuing Education (Editing Certificate). Initially presented at the Editors Canada conference in Toronto, 2015.
Printable checklists for each stage of editing/ manuscript development.
Word for Editors
Fall 2017 dates TBA
Word has built-in features and tools that make editing tasks more consistent, efficient and pleasant. This course will show the ins and outs of features and customizations that truly make the editorial work fly:
- track changes mastery
- styles for editorial checks, automation, and formatting
- viewing tricks
- advanced find and replace, including wildcards and special codes
- macros—ready-made and make-your-own
- alternatives to macros that also boost efficiency
Keep the 80+ page workbook for either Mac or Windows.
See the full course syllabus.
Word Macros without Tears
Now on demand!
Webinar recordings + workbook available in 2 formats:
Macros can help you tame Word and automate many editing functions for faster, more precise copyediting. Kick-start your macros use in Word 365 during the 90-minute webinar: recording, and cutting & pasting. You’ll gain an understanding of macros and learn how to customize them and use wildcards, plus a resource of over 500 macros specifically for editing tasks.
Or delve deeper into macros, learning to tweak the code and cobble together sophisticated tools without having to learn to code in Virtual Basic.
Praise for Macros without Tears
Help! There’s math in my manuscript
Coming, Fall 2017 via the EFA
This is not a course on how to do math. It is about honing your editorial senses to know when a number-related concept doesn’t sound quite right, and how to use free online tools to check your instincts. You’ll see samples of effective queries that use mathematical language, and see real-life examples. This covers the language of talking about numbers, not the mechanics of calculations.
If she does 4100 laps one day and 100 the next day how many redheads bought chickens?
If this is what feels like for you, you’ll feel right at home with this resource.
Come learn the secret handshake of math.
— ran in fall of 2012 —
We are often asked how to get into educational editing. Getting in is one thing; more importantly, what are you getting into? On top of the professional editorial standards, editors in the school market also need to:
- understand curriculum documents (what content must be included and to what depth of knowledge)
- adjust reading levels and readability
- ensure assessments follow current models and principles
- draft missing content
- revise content based on reviewer feedback
- develop all product components
- fit copy to the product design and course length
Spend 3 hours with me, exploring the extended checklist that an editor must use when working in the educational market.
Book Your Own Training
PDF markup training is available in the formats listed below. Other topics are available by request, such as Word for editors, marketing, and blogging. Contact me for a quote on leading one for your group.
- 1 hour private consultation geared to your needs
- prerecorded taining, workbook, and 1 hour consult
- 90-minute webinar overview, or:
- 90-minute “intro” webinar
- 90-minute “advanced” webinar
- five 90-minute webinars with self-study guide — buy anytime
- 1 day workshop, in person
- 4-lesson online course (asynchronous, autonomous, with feedback)